Mary Berger became a surgical nurse in 1942 in the U.S. Army. She was sent abroad when her hospital moved to Normandy following the beachhead.
In 1948, Mary and her husband Sidney volunteered to serve in Israel during Israel’s War of Independence. She served as a nurse in the Djani Military Hospital in Jaffa, and later as a surgical nurse in the surgical ward of Tel Litvinsky Hospital (now Tel Hashomer).
Mary returned with her husband to the USA after the war was over, and settled in Maryland. She passed away in 1995 after a year’s valiant struggle against cancer.